Winter Preparation Checklist
We use this list every year for our Cambrian San Jose home.
See something missing? We’d love to hear from you!
Preparing Your Home for Winter
- Change the filter in your furnace. Buy enough for the rest of the winter (3-4 filters). Consider upgrading to a HEPA filter.
- Oil the garage door springs and bearings. The springs will eventually snap if not oiled.
- Change all smoke detector batteries and test.
- Test and consider replacing your carbon monoxide (CO) detectors. These should be replaced every 5 years.
- Clean your gutters and consider installing gutter screens.
- Remove any debris from roof.
- Check ventilation screens under roof and around foundation for damage - Repair to prevent animals from entering.
- Clean out dryer vent. A clogged vent can result in a fire.
Inspect or Service Every 5 Years
- Service water heater.
- Service furnace and consider upgrading to a NEST. PG& E is offering $50 rebate this year. It will pay for itself in < 2 yrs.
- Inspect and clean fireplace and chimney.
- Inspect crawl space for termites, rodents, foundation cracks and moisture.
- Inspect roof and attic for signs of leaks. Reseal vents if required.
- Inspect or replace fire extinguishers.